Monday, May 25, 2009

Wandering Mindanao

I was quite fortunate to be able to go around Mindanao last year. Despite all the crazy things that happened during that trip, I wouldn't trade it for any other experience.

It was crazy enough to plan on going to five places all in four days--and those places we visited were really far apart from each other. We had to fly in through Cagayan De Oro and I had the best lechon manok ever at The Barn. Off we went then to catch the bus to take us to Balingoan pier where we could catch a barge taking us to Camiguin. I did not appreciate any food we had at that place. We had a really expensive Italian dinner and got a terrible lunch at a carinderia somewhere. I'm guessing we were just in the wrong part of the island which made things a bit terrible for us.

After we left, we weren't able to catch the bus in Cagayan De Oro that can take us straight to Koronadal. We had to pass by Davao instead. Davao was part of our original plan. We decided to scrap it out due to time constraints but ended up going there anyway. I was able to see my friends from college there. We just ate tapsilog, had a bottle of beer and then have to board another bus going to General Santos City and then taking us to Koronadal in South Cotabato.

The bus rides we had were a nightmare. In the 8 hour ride from Cagayan to Davao, there was a child who puked all over the seat hence the discomfort for some of my friends. On the bus going to General Santos, a drunk guy was puking across the aisle from me which got to my stuff.

When we reached Koronadal, we heard mass, changed our clothes and boarded another bus that would take us to Lake Sebu. The place was just beautiful and peaceful and I can say that this was the part of the trip that made it all worth it. I had the best tasting tilapia cooked in different ways that we had in Aguilar Lake View. The chicharon tilapia was superb that I still dream of it once in a while. The inihaw na tilapia was great as well and Tita Zeny was very accommodating. The seem to have the best view of Lake Sebu and the cold air at night is just comforting and will really sway you to sleep.

We went to Dongon falls in a skylab. The skylab is a motorcycle were 3 or more people will ride on it and it will take you through hills and mountains to get to Dongon falls. I haven't heard about Dongon falls until I got to Lake Sebu. There were 7 falls in total. I only got to see 2 but it was still great. I had a chance to swim for the first time under the waterfalls. It was really cool and refreshing and I didn't mind the current at my feet.

Dusk and Dawn was quite peaceful at the lake. I would love to go back just to experience it again.

We had to go to General Santos City so we can fly back to Manila. We stopped by Rdex to get tuna for my sisters and my tita. If I wasn't on a budget, I could have gotten more and it made the best sashimi. I was able to catch a glimpse of Saranggani Bay where all that great tune came from.

Mindanao is not what everyone thinks here in Manila. Thanks to all the media hype of bombings, kidnappings, terrorists and anything that they can associate with Mindanao. I find the place more peaceful than crazy Manila and all the traffic jams in its big roads or the sardines set-up when you take the LRT or MRT. We even have to consider all the chaos caused by rallies of non-stop bickering by the left and right. Mindanao is one place I would love to escape to from the fast-paced life that Manila can offer. Here are the images I have of this place:

Baligoan Pier

Camiguin sunrise (view from White Island)

Dongon Falls

Water flowing from Dongon Falls


Right below the waterfalls

2 comments: