Saturday, August 27, 2011

Antonio's

Milestones should always be celebrated. So when Tita Lac turned 60, we threw her a surprise (semi) in Antonio's Tagaytay. Antonio's is currently the best restaurant in the country according to the Miele guide. With great food, service that reminds you of home and the nice cool air of Tagaytay plus a beautiful view of their gardens simply makes this place perfect.
They reserved a room for us to have the party. My cousins got balloons, red and white wine and a to-die-for caramel cake from Estrel's.



Our table set up looks very elegant yet simple. It looks like a nice table for all of the chismis to be shared that night.
Since we arrived early, we had the place to ourselves where we can take portraits. My niece, Isla was in a great mood to be a model that day. We had other pictures too but I think you be the judge. Isn't she something?

With plants everywhere and very good lighting, it seems that every photo is picture perfect.



We started our meal with some squid ink bread. The black color makes the whole thing very interesting. The ink did not over-power the bread at all, it just gave it a bold character. Each bite was like heaven. Warm and slightly toasted on the inside and very soft on the inside. Smothered with butter, it seems that you are already done for the night, but this iss just the beginning.
We were given options for our drinks like soda and tea. I opted for the freshly squeezed dalandan juice and some white wine.
My cousin Babits ordered this Carbonara for Isla. The pasta was al dente and is one of the best carbonaras I have tasted. Isla's expression while eating can attest to this.

Next up was the liver pate with rasberry coulis and white truffle. The pate was very smooth and velvety. There are no words to describe it, I will just qoute cousin-in-law Graham "That is a very beautiful pate."
Salad was mixed greens with walnuts, ricotta and rasberry vinaigrette.
Our soup course was cream of khlrabi. Everyone was wondering what is khlrabi. Turns out it's a type of turnip. Since we all didn't know what to expect, we were greated with a rich and creamy soup where the salt only came from the pancetta. Very much my type I would say.
Our main course choices were Steak frites.
Roasted leg of lamb (with a blurred picture).
I opted for the Foil baked Chilean Sea Bass. My plate looked very colorful with the black olives and cherry tomatoes. The textures very a good variety and every flavor will suddenly burst into my mouth--the very soft and smooth sea bass, olives and tomatoes, garlic and pine nuts for some crunch. This all came in a small bed of Antonio's famous mashed potatoes. Now why would I say this is famous? It is being talked about as to what is the secret behind it and I was told it was truffle oil. Yet, who really knows?
I chose to have the chocolate terrine for dessert. This is the dessert that I recommend. Very smooth chocolate in every spoonful yet it is not iritatingly sweet.
The other desserts are mango yoghurt panna cotta.
Chocolate mint ice cream.
Great milestones should really be celebrated. I think my Tita had a memorable 60th at a great place.
We pretty much had a blast from this little lady too.
Antonio's is located in Tagaytay. They also serve breakfast and they have a Filipino restaurant called The Grill at Antonio's.

No comments:

Post a Comment