Saturday, January 14, 2012

Joy-Joy's Kalan-an

Before going home for the holidays, I had this intense craving for adobado and I don't even know any place in Manila that serves this. Titit and I agreed that our first lunch out in Iloilo will be at Joy-Joy's and we forcefully convinced our Mom to agree.
Joy-Joy's has a new branch in Brgy. Nabitasan in Leganes along the coastal road. My Dad takes pride in being able to convince the owner to have this new branch opened and somewhat nearer to the city proper. The newer branch has a more unique shape and somehow makes it less crowded.

We had our usual, Sinugba nga Managat where its always perfectly seasoned with juicy and tender meat. The fish's head was cut and made into soup.

Sinugba nga Bangrus (Bangus) is always a staple wherever we eat. This one is not boneless though and made the fish tastier when grilled. We were trained since we were kids to eat Bangus with all that tinik
We had a serving of Talaba also because we simply miss it. My Mom would usually request for our talaba to be malasado and we all loved it that way dipped in sinamak.
Sinugba nga pork chop is always at its best at Joy-Joy. Flavorful and juicy with every bite.
Kinilaw nga pasayan is a favorite of mine. The sinamak gave it a good flavor including the mix of ginger, onions, spring onions and a little bit of red chilli for a kick. It was a good blend of sweet, sour and spicy.
As for the Adobado, I simply poured the sauce over rice which what makes it so good. Adobado is alimusan (a kind of fish) cooked in coconut milk with other spices. I'm not sure if atsuete gives its bright orange color. I had no desire of learning how to cook this but I simply enjoy eating this dish. The fish is usually very tender and fat. The fat gives a good flavor to the gata sauce. I don't like my adobado to be really spicy. Joy-Joy found a good balance of the flavor for this dish where every bite is simply comforting.
Joy-Joy's Kalan-an is always in my list of places to eat when I'm home. I'm assured the food is always fresh and well seasoned. Good thing the drive is now shorter to get to this place. Despite the new branch, the quality of the food is still the same.


Joy-Joy's Kalan-an can be found in Brgy Nabitasan Leganes Iloilo along the Coastal Road.


P.S. We got some Garlic Shrimps from Bulljack as part of our lunch. I swear it was the best one I've had. It was overloaded with finely minced garlic and the right sweetness to the butter. You may find Bulljack along the Coastal Road too but somewhere near the road going to Metropolis. I didn't have a photo of it because it was that good to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment