Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Makansutra Gluttons Bay

Looking for a place to eat in Singapore on Chinese New Year is a challenge. As we were going around the whole day, only a few restaurants were open. It was a good thing that Makansutra was open. Bad news--everyone was there. 
Makan basically means to eat in Malay. 


After a long walk from Bugis to Esplanade we had a hard time looking for a table in Makansutra as the place was packed. Makansutra is an al fresco version of Singapore's hawkers. The whole Esplanade was full of life that night with shows by the bay, art exhibits, happy giddy and hungry diinners and everyone checking out the River Hongbao.
Carla and I saved a table as Marlon, Day Fem and Anavee ordered us our gastronomic first night dinner. 


We started off with sticks of satay. The marinade penetrated the meat well and it was still juicy and tender. I liked the spicy peanut sauce that complemented it. We were a little bit full hence we did not touch the rice that came with it. The rice was similar to the puso in Cebu but it was placed in plastic instead of coconut leaves.
We also had a plate of fried rice to fill us up further.
On the side we had some garlic kailan. I usually prefer this vegetable dish when I'm in the red dot.
We tried the oyster pancake. It was a hefty serving. I didn't like the oysters that much though. It had a little bit of an after taste.
In my opinion, the star for dinner is the BBQ Sambal Stingray. The meat was tender and the sambal on top gave it a nice kick. It was my first time to eat stingray cooked this way and somehow I get what everyone has been raving about. This is a must try in Singapore.
Makansutra is a good place for lunch or dinner especially for the tourist. Feel free to walk around Esplanade then visit the Marina Bay Sands after a full meal. 
P.S. Apologies I wasn't able to get any food price as I was the table guardian.

4 comments:

  1. I am happy to find this very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for dropping by. Hope you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    great blog post! I'm planning a trip to sg this year and I'm thinking of dropping by here in Makansutra. May I know though how do you order food here? Do you just find a seat then look browse through the food to order? Many thanks! and more power to you and your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for the late reply. If you are going with a friend, I suggest you scout the stalls first and decide what you would like to get. Ordering is done per stall. Best if one will do the ordering and the other will save a seat. Makansutra can get really crowded. Enjoy your trip to SG!

      Delete