Monday, July 16, 2012

The Making of Harry Potter Studio Tour

I have always been a Harry Potter fan--from the moment that Sorcerer's Stone was given to me as a gift on my 16th birthday up to the last movie and even today. As I had my chance of going to London this year, I made sure to visit The Making of Harry Potter in Leavesden. 

The adventure starts by booking your ticket of course. Only pre-bookings are allowed. No tickets are sold in the Warner Brother studios. Choose your own adventure on this one. You can book you tour through Golden Tours http://www.goldentours.com/  who provides hotel pick up from several major hotels to their main office, then depart for the tour. The other option is going there on your own through train. For this option, book your ticket through the Warner Bros site http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/ (GBP 28).


I opted for the later to make this more adventurous (in my opinion). Directions for all types of transportation are available on their website. You make take Virgin Trains to Watford Junction which will take about 20 minutes. I opted to use the London Overground from Killburn Park (which departs from Euston). Upon getting to Watford Junction, look for the coaches headed to the studio. Turn left towards the bus stop upon getting out of the train station. The queue is easy to spot. Coach tickets cost GBP 2 round trip.


The tour is mostly self guided. Entering the doors of the Great Hall will start all the magic. All of the sets in the  magical world are there. For the muggle locations, just take a tour around London.


I was all giddy seeing all the sets in there from the Burrow, Privet Drive, Godric's Hollow, the Headmaster's office, Diagon Alley and the small scale model of Hogwarts.









All the props used are in there--wands for each witch/wizard, news paper clippings, food, wigs and every bit of tiny object being used.





Get some Butterbeer (GBP 1.95) to complete the experience.

The gift shop will come last. This is where the magic ends seeing how much gold you have to pay for souvenirs. So much for getting a wand or a Ravenclaw scarf. The every flavor beans and chocolate frogs seem tempting though.

For any Harry Potter fan, this place is definitely worth the trip north. You will not regret the time spent in this place and admire all the hard work that the crew had to make the films possible. 

Don't forget to try the green screen where you can experience flying through London on a broomstick. Feel free to purchase your souvenir photo. I bought 2 for GBP 15.

To complete the experience, go to King's Cross station  once you're back in London and pose with the sign to Platform 9 3/4.

I solemnly swear that I was fighting back tears when I got here. And as I left I can only mutter to myself--Mischief Managed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment