Friday, March 30, 2012

Yabu: The House of Katsu

We've seen so many people rave about Yabu that Titit amd I decided we should have dinner there as soon as we can. Braving the rush hour with the worst conditions in the MRT, I got there intact for dinner with my sisters.
We often snub Katsu in Japanese restaurants as this doesn't seem very special. Having a restaurant dedicated to serving Katsu intrigues me and should be worth a visit.


I loved the interiors of the place with intimate lighting but bright enough to see and appreciate the food. The manga on  the wall was all about Katsu which added a fun factor in your Yabu experience and increases your anticipation for the food you're about to have.



We started off with some appetizers. You can choose two appetizers that they serve in bowls inside wooden boxes. We opted for the seaweed and the potato salad (175 PHP). The potato salad was soft and creamy but the stand out was the seaweeds. I was surprised with the sweet and savory taste plus the ebiko on top added in for a little bit of saltines.
Both Titit and Choking ordered Katsu curries in different variants as these two always have different tastes on their food preference.
Titit had the Tori Katsu Curry set (265 PHP). She opted for the curry with the least amount of heat as much as possible. The chicken was very tender and the curry has that mild sweetness to it. This was served with miso soup, fruit and all you can eat cabbage.
Choking had the Rosu Katsu Curry set (295 PHP) and requestedfor this to the spiciest level they had. Despite the heat in the curry, it still maintained that subtle sweetness. This was also served with miso soup, fruit and all you can eat cabbage.
I opted for the 9oz Rosu Katsu set (295 PHP). I preferred to have a little bit of fat in the pork. If you're a bit more conscious about your health, they also have Hire which is leab pork tenderloin. The premium katsu uses Berkshire pork which is like the angus of pork. Maybe I should try that when I have enough budget. The set comes with rice, miso soup, fruit and all you can eat cabbage.
They gave me a small bowl with toasted sesame seeds on it. You have to grind the seeds to release some that sesame oil for added flavor in your sauce. Drizzled the tonkatsu sauce over you sesame seeds then mix. About 2-3 spoonfuls of sauce will be just right.






I loved how tender, flavorful and juicy the katsu was. I've never had katsu this good. Every bite into it makes me dig more on that bowl of rice, forgetting that I'm in a no rice on weekdays diet. It was that good that I have no further words to express my new relationship with this katsu.
Don't forget the cabbage. It is not there to be overlooked. Thinly and even sliced in its crunch goodness and placed on 1 side of the plate.  Drizzle some sesame dressing or vinaigrette over it. I preferred using the sesame dressing more.


The service was good enough for dinner rush and their staff was friendly and polite. They will ask if you need any assistance or instructions on how to prepare your sauce and offer you cabbage when they see that you've emptied your plate.

We all loved Yabu that even if we were half full before going there, we still tried to eat up everything we ordered and it was worth it. This place will convert you into a katsu fan.
I'll definitely go back. Pictures from the iTouch did not do this Katsu justice.


Yabu is located at the 2F Atrium SM Megamall.

No comments:

Post a Comment