Monday, February 15, 2010

My Mother's Garden

I've never had a romantic date before. So when Marlon asked me for a date I didn't mind and said yes. He made me choose where I wanted but since there are so many restaurants that I found on food blogs, I made him choose and he chose My Mother's Garden in Pasay City.
This is the home of National Artist for Architecture Pablo Anotnio Sr. and his daughter Malu Veloso opened their home to everyone and teamed up with her daughter, Letlet Veloso.

It was quite easy to find the house thanks to the directions from: http://www.ourawesomeplanet.com/awesome/2008/04/mymothersgarden.html where I found the blog about this place as well.

We were greeted politely from the gate and were lead to the place where we will have our late lunch. Since there were only 2 of us, the meal we had cost 1000 PHP per person but it was all worth it. We were greeted by soft music as we entered the house and the waiter immediately prepared for our meal.

We were first served soda with fruits (watermelon, melon and pineapple). Mrs. Veloso suggested this drink when I made the reservation and she said that this is really refreshing. It was indeed.
We then had mixed greens with 2 choices of dressing. The greens were really fresh and crunchy to the bite and the both dressings didn't taste as if it was instant mayo dressing. I was guessing it was actually yoghurt based and seasoned lightly with garlic.
The then served us two kinds of pasta (linguine and angel hair) with three kinds of sauces. The first sauce was marinara sauce. I found this a little bit sweet but Marlon really loved it. The second one was pesto and this is one of my favorites. I liked it since it didn't taste too strong and the proportion of the garlic was just right.  The last one was the black olives which basically consist of a lot of finely chopped black olives. I enjoyed mixing the pesto and black olives together and preferred them with the angel hair pasta.


We were then served Roast leg of lamb which was what we were looking forward to. It was really tender and tasty and also cooked medium rare.
I was quite happy Mrs. Veloso added two pieces of mustard chicken which is their specialty just so we can try it.
We were also served grilled shrimps and clams.

For vegetables, we had Melanzane or more popularly known as Eggplant Parmigiana.The eggplant was really tender and the cheese did not overpower the veggies. 
The meal also came with two kinds of rice (white and organic red) but we were too full to even touch it.
Lastly we had a platter of pastries. I liked the brownies and the citrus mango pastry. Everything just looks so good and it didn't disappoint. 
We were served coffee afterwards. Marlon really loved how strong their coffee was.


We were greeted by Mrs. Veloso after our meal and handed my a gift from her daughter which was part of their Valentines weekend promo.


I highly recommend this place. The ambiance was peaceful and romantic and you cannot imagine that amidst the busy streets of Pasay lies this lovely place.
How to get there: Coming from the North take EDSA southbound. Just before Taft Ave, you may find Zamora st. (where you can find Kabayan Hotel) and turn there. For commuters, you may take the MRT and go down at Taft station. Then you may find a tricycle at Zamora st.


My Mother's Garden can be found at 2650 Zamora st. Pasay City.


For reservations call:
831-8407 and look for Malu or Letlet Veloso

No comments:

Post a Comment