Monday, February 1, 2010

Missing another Jaro Fiesta

It's time again for me to be jealous and homesick at the same time. Every year on February 2, is our town fiesta the feast of Our Lady of Candles but more known in Iloilo as the Jaro Fiesta. 


Before, our classes are called off because almost everyone would be in Jaro to eat until they drop. Jaro is also the main access point of several towns in Iloilo to go to the city and traffic is just terrible. Well, the intention is supposed to be religious but eating and drinking has been everyone's goal as long as I can remember. It's a time I see so many people at our house. I know some of them are friends and relatives but I don't know everyone but I try to smile to everyone if they know me. 


Our day usually starts really early like 4 or 5 in the morning to hear mass at Jaro Cathedral. It's usually really crowded even if you hear the first mass. By the time we have managed to walk home, we are greeted by one of the best breakfasts I have known--embutido, fried egg, rice, pan de sal ni paa, ensaymada, hot chocolate and eveyone's favorite homemade chorizo.


By lunch time, my friends from school would arrive and it's time to each lunch of ox tongue, chicken alexander, lechon with ube for dessert. We would then go to the carnival for rides until or after the procession of the king and queen. During my last fiesta in 2001, I was finally allowed by my parents to let my friends stay for some drinks...ok a lot of drinks.


Hopefully next year I can make it back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment