Friday, February 19, 2010

Orchard Road

Since Johann and Marlon were apartment hunting in Mandaluyong one sunday, Johann insisted that we try out Orchard Road in Megamall. The restaurant tries to depict the hawkers that we find in Singapore. I was only able to try one during my last visit. 
I liked how they did with the interiors in the restaurant. I liked the details on the walls and ceiling. Their system in ordering though is they give you a piece of paper with their menu items and you just indicate how much you're ordering then pay for it at the counter. The bad thing about this is that if you are not familiar with food often found in Singapore, then good luck guessing. Like for one thing, I didn't know they have a Rose flavored drink (which I cannot remember the name now) that is similar to the Rose Lassi that I can order from Taj.

Since Orchard Road serves Singaporean food, the best test is of course to try the Hainanese Chicken Rice (155 PHP). I think the chicken was good. It wasn't slimy. The chicken was tender as well. They lack one sauce the red chili sauce. The chili they gave was the one that accompanied the siomai we ordered. They should add more sauce though. I'm a big fan of ginger sauce and I had to ask for extra and emphasized to give me loads of it. I didn't like the rice though. I found it too starchy. They should change the type of rice they use because it did not seem to get the flavor from the chicken broth it was cooked in.

Our other order was pork siomai (60PHP). I was disappointed with this one since I can't even taste the pork in it and I find it pricey for 20 PHP per dumpling.
The service is ok but can still be improved. I find Orchard Road promising but they have to tweak it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment